DIY Bathroom Mirror: A Re-Do for Only $18!

When we first moved into our new house, I took one look at the raw edge mirror in the downstairs bathroom and had every intention of removing it and replacing it with something better. But, when I got down to the nitty gritty, I realized that whoever had installed our bathroom mirror was glue happy, and didn’t just adhere it to the wall — they cemented it! Removing it would have damaged the wall terribly, causing need for repair and re-texturizing. I decided to go with plan B, (even though I really didn’t have a plan B) and do something different.

This DIY Bathroom Mirror redo is easy, and it only costs $18!

DIY Bathroom Mirror Re-Do

I really hate changing plans… but, it worked out for the best as you’ll see!

I love a good, quick home improvement project anyway.

diy bathroom

I decided to start my little diy bathroom mirror project with a fresh coat of paint first. I wanted something rich, something chocolate brown. Not only for the design aesthetic, but the fact that it’s basically a boy-proof color. I’m all about that.

diy bathroom

I went to Lowe’s and purchased two sheets of tumbled marble tiles clearance priced for $7 each. This diy bathroom mirror project was just getting better and better! When I got them home, I trimmed the mesh around the tile to make a smooth edge.

diy bathroom

I also purchased a tube of silicone adhesive that boasted it could be used for fusing glass together to form a fish tank. Another nod in the way of boys and their bathroom habits. I figured that if it could hold together a fish tank, my diy bathroom mirror could take anything that my boys could throw at it.

diy bathroom

Then, I spent the next hour cutting, squeezing, and sticking…

diy bathroom

diy bathroom

diy bathroom

The trickiest part was the top. I just used a little painters tape to keep them in place until the adhesive could harden up.

diy bathroom

Before I knew it, I was finished and off doing something else! Not bad for an hour’s worth of work!

diy bathroom

But, do you want to know the best part!? My diy bathroom mirror was so cheap!

diy bathroom

Yup, only $18!

About Emily Louise

Emily is a apron-wearing, camera-wielding, mother and pilots wife who has found her niche in discovering a reason to celebrate every day and enjoying the simple things life has to offer.
Release Your Inner Cheerleader & Make Pom Poms
Fun Activities To Do With Kids: Pom Poms!

Comments

I just came across this on Pinterest and cannot wait to try it! Seriously, I’ll probably make my hubby take me to Lowe’s tonight. :) We are two big plain mirrors in our master bathroom so I’ve been dying to do something with! Thank you!

2. Susan says

I love the idea with the tile around the mirror! I also have those ugle plastic tabs on the mirror; how did you work around those?

Thanks for your time –

3. Lori says

I was linked to this page by a pin on pinterest.com, and I am SO glad that I was!! This is an amazing idea, and I look forward to finding the perfect tiles to try it out! :)

4. Chelsey says

I LOVE this!! I’ve been wanting a new mirror in my bathroom but this is way easier!! I was just wondering how it looks from the side? Does the glue etc look ok?

5. JoAnna says

I just bought all the supplies for this project today! I plan to do it tomorrow, and can’t wait! It will end up costing $26 which I think is still a cheap fun project to spruce up the bathroom! Thanks for posting this idea! LOVE IT!

6. Mimi says

Great idea! My daughter has a full length mirror with an ugly plastic gold frame and this idea might work to make it look chik! Thanks!

7. kandi says

Super cute thrify idea! My sister just bought a house and the bathroom has no mirror, so I am going to make her one of these as her “housewarming gift”. My only questions is, the “mesh” you mentioned in like picture 2, what kind of “mesh” are we talking about?

I LOVE this idea. We are moving to a new home soon and it is move-in ready but I’m excited to find little ways to put my stamp on things. Thanks for the great idea!!!

9. Lacy says

OMG – I love it. BRILLIANT and so much easier than what I was planning with moulding!!!! Thankx

10. Lenora Gambrell says

Your sink, light fixture and mirror all look just like the one in my son’s bath. He is never home anymore and I have been wanting to do something new because it has always looked so bare and incomplete. Thanks for this wonderful design idea. Also, if you have time I’d love to know the paint color.

That is gorgeous! I’ve been toying with several ideas for a plain but huge mirror we took out of the bathroom and propped against our bedroom wall, oh five years ago. I didn’t even think of tiles. Thanks!

Thank you so much for this! I found it on Pinterest just this week and I couldn’t wait to try it! I’ve hated our bathroom mirror since we moved in six years ago, I just didn’t know what to do about it without having to replace drywall. This was such a perfect fix and I think our bathroom mirror looks beautiful now! Thanks again, I’ve linked back to this site in my blog post: http://nathanandka.blogspot.com/2011/07/lacking-in-fireworks.html

I am in love! Every time I see a project I love I proudly exclaim, “I could do that!” and my husband rolls his eyes and says, “let’s stick to all the crafts you’ve already got going.” Well, it’s a good thing he’s working today and I am home, because you know what? I can do this! And I’ve got a sad little mirror in the upstairs bathroom just begging for a make-over! I may even do it today and surprise him! 😉

Wow! That came out great. I love you you need to boy-proof your bathrooms. I will probably be doing something very similar in my new home.

I love this! I found it on Pinterest and plan to do it to my bathroom mirror tonight! I’ll be blogging about it and will be sure to give you credit. Thank you!

What a fantastic idea! And I just happen to have some mirrors that would enjoy a little sprucing up… Saying hello from SITS and glad to meet you. I just did a DIY kitchen island from an old credenza you might like to see for $140. Come by if you get a chance.

I am so impressed and wish I could look at the potential projects around my house and tackle them already! Love the chocolate brown!

Fantastic idea! Perfect timing too, because we just bought a house and the bathrooms have raw edged mirrors. Your mirror turned out perfectly. Thanks for the inspiration, it’ll defintely come in handy over the next few weeks.
    P.S. Thanks for giving a clear picture of what kind of adhesive to get, it makes it so much easier to hunt down in the store :)

that is awesome. 😀 i would totally do this but we’re not allowed to change how our home looks :( makes me sad sometimes. i hate living in a box… (thats what it feels like anyway)

Ooooh! That looks so good!!! I love the idea of DIY projects! I have my first home and now I’m totally inspired by this post! Looks awesome!

Super cool! I would love to do this for my mirrors as well. However, mine have these clear, plastic squares at the top and bottom holding them in place. Did your mirror have that as well? If so, how did you work around it?

that’s seriously cool. i wish things like that would occur to me. i stare at things sometimes forEVER wondering what i can do to make them better without breaking into my kid’s piggy bank. very resourceful! thanks for sharing. nice pics! =)

I love it! What a great idea. I was going to put a picture frame mold around mine, but I like the tile idea so much better. Thanks!! :)

1. […] I’ve been thinking for a while that it would be cool to put some tiles or pieces of glass around the edges of the mirror to make a sort of mosaic frame. Then recently, on Pinterest, I saw a post from the SITS girls  about how to use clear silicone to attach tiles to a mirror (you can link to the original post from my Pinterest board here, or go directly to the original blog here). […]