What To Cook For Breakfast

Need something quick, easy, AND kid-friendly for breakfast? Then check out the Sunrise Breakfast Bowl from Tony Spilsbury below. It’s certified family fun!

Did someone say the words, easy and breakfast?

It’s true.  My Sunrise Breakfast Bowl recipe requires only one muffin pan. There are no spoons, bowls, spatulas or skillets to clean, which makes this the perfect breakfast recipe for kids to make.

My girls love to cook and could crack an egg before they were out of diapers, so they’re able to make this easy recipe almost completely on their own with just a little help getting the muffin tin in and out of the oven.

what to cook for breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast Bowls

Ingredients:

1. Whole grain bread: 12 slices with crust taken off
  2. Eggs: 1 dozen
  3. Bacon: 1 package precooked bacon
  4. Butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Grease a muffin tin with butter and place one slice of bread into each hole, pressing down in the middle.

what to cook for breakfast

3.  Crack one egg directly onto each slice of bread.

what to cook for breakfast

4.  Heat bacon in the microwave according to directions (about 1 minute) and place one cooked slice into each egg.

Yes, I use the precooked bacon and am proud of it.  I love cooking with- and eating- bacon but hate bacon grease… what a lovely invention, this precooked stuff.  Let someone else clean the grease!

what to cook for breakfast

5.  Bake until egg is just cooked, or until desired consistency- yolk runny, about 10 minutes; slightly runny, about 13 minutes and cooked thoroughly, about 17 minutes.

Serve with fresh fruit.

what to cook for breakfast

About the Author

the organized cookFamily meals are important. Toni shows you easy ways to spend less time and money at the grocery store, less time in the kitchen and more time with your family on her site, Toni Spilsbury.com. She’s even compiled 12 of her most popular Weekly Meal Plans with menus, grocery shopping lists, and easy to follow instructions all into her latest book, The Organized Cook Cookbook.

Want to Write For Us?

Are you interested in guest posting for The SIT Girls? Then let us know! Our super easy process is described in this post. We’d love to drive more page views to what you have to say.

More Breakfast Recipe Ideas:

About Francesca

One of two behind The SITS Girls and Bloggy Boot Camp. Believer that this community is a movement, and not just a website. Currently on a quest for unending free WiFi & stronger caffeine. I'd love to get to know you better: Find me on Twitter @FranBanducci and on Google+.
How To Make Pernil (Pork Roast)
How To Eat Healthy...Sans the Family Whining

Comments

1. Vinniemama says

This took a little longer then the recipe says to get the egg cooked… But I’m sure it’ll be worth it. I’m probably just being paranoid because I’m pregnant… But still, is the whites supposed to be a little runny?

Oh yuuum!!! This looks so good! I’ve never thought to put all of those things together like that..creative!

Oh my gosh, this was so quick and easy. It’s so nice to be able to throw breakfast together, go off and do something while it cooks and then come back and eat. My boys are loving it! (they’re eating it right now.)

Love this idea! Just made one similar last week with spinach and ham and they are terrific for breakfast or “breakfast for dinner”, which is a favorite in our house. Not as good the next day, the egg is not good and reheating bread in the microwave makes it chewy and hard. I agree that the best thing to do is make what you will eat that meal.

Will MOST DEFINITELY try this! In fact, thinking about picking up some multi-grain bread this afternoon. BTW – some of my family prefers scrambled eggs. Would this work the same (or do you think I need to adjust cooking times??)

Thanks again!

Pre-cooked bacon does not exist in New Zealand. But this looks yummy!! I can probably change it slightly and have it still be yummy! :) Thanks!

I love this…how easy (though I have to admit I would probably cook the bacon myself. I just have a problem spending that much for someone else to do what I can so easily do myself (and what’s worse is paying them…eeks). Great idea and I plan on doing it next time we go somewhere early…could be a finger food with two baggies (fruit in one, Sunrise Breakfast bowl in the other).
    I like the idea of adding cheese, too or even instead of the bacon (but I sure do love bacon).

You hate bacon grease?? But there’s so much you can do with it! You really should learn to love (and save) bacon grease.

Oh, this is lovely! I’m all about healthy – and easy when it comes to cooking. This is a great healthy breakfast with carbs, protein and a little healthy fat from the egg. (Bacon is always healthier when the grease has been partially removed – and pre-cooked surely can help with that!).

Love your book! I don’t have it, but checked it out on line.

• Francesca says

Absolutely!

I say go ahead and substitute cheese for bacon. You could do a straight cheddar or get fancy with a feta, mozzarella, or goat cheese.

And how about a few chives?

Yum!

I’ve seen this recipe all over and my question is, how long do you have to cook for the WHITE to not be runny? I can’t stand a runny white. Just blech. AND, can you save these and reheat them? I mean 12 is a lot.

• Francesca says

Hey girl!

You’re looking at 17 minutes to make sure that egg of yours is not runny.

And I’m not sure about reheating them. I can’t imagine they would be quite as tasty the second time around. I vote for just making less. Try using only half of that muffin tin. :)

xo

• Francesca says

I just tried this recipe this morning. Not sure that they would freeze well because of the egg. My suggestion? Don’t make all 12. The kids and I just made six and it was the perfect size for everyone.

Those are adorable. But I’m a sucker for bacon.

Though I just met a couple of adorable piglets, and now it also gives me nightmares.

Bacon and me, we have a complex relationship.

I make these all the time (with some shredded cheese added in under the egg) and I LOVE them. If I’m not careful, I’ll eat and entire tray of them myself!

Very cute idea! I am always looking for something that will encourage my 4 year old to eat more breakfast, maybe this will help.