Happy Friday! Today’s the last in our series of great DIY holiday (or anytime!) gifts and crafts with Mandy of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. On Monday we covered a No-Sew Growth Chart, and Wednesday, an adorable Hair Bow Holder. Today, Mandy shows you how to take family photos and turn then into a lovely DIY canvas art!
Typical 8×10 photo canvases are $30-40 each, so this is a marvelous idea for your own home or as a gift!
Supplies you’ll need
- 4 canvases ($8.99 during a buy one, get one free sale)
- Two scrapbook pages (2/$1).
- 4 8×10 pictures printed at Walgreens ($11)
- Mod Podge
- Paper cutter
Prepare the sides of the canvas
I first covered each canvas with Mod Podge. Then, I cut the strips of paper, and pasted them onto each side of the canvas. (cut the strips and the photos a teeny bit shorter – you want there to be white space)
Prep the photos
Then I turned each picture over, coated it with Mod Podge,and carefully applied it to each canvas and smoothed everything out very well. Then I applied Mod Podge to everything. (It’s white, but dries clear)
Sponge paint the photos
Then I took a dry sponge and “sponged” paint onto the white areas of the canvas and along the sides of the picture to kind of “blend” it together. It’s supposed to look antiquey and shabby chic. The tutorial used black – I used white, but you can use any color I’m sure.
Then let dry! All in all, it took about 2 hours to complete.
About The Author
Mandy is the author of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. She blogs all about raising her boy/girl twins. Go check it out for lots of fun, humor, DIY, fashion, photography and toddler giggles.
- How To Start A Photography Business - Mar 30, 2016
- Cleaning and Maintaining Your Camera Gear - Mar 2, 2016
- 3 Common Photo Editing Mistakes And How To Fix Them - Jan 20, 2016
- How To Start A 365 Photography Project - Jan 6, 2016
- 3 Tips for Winter Photography - Dec 23, 2015
- How to Use Periscope - Jun 23, 2015
- 3 Tips For Completing A Project 365 - Jun 4, 2015
- 3 Tips for Photographing Your Everyday Life - Apr 20, 2015
- 5 Ideas To Document Your Baby’s Growth With Photographs - Feb 26, 2015
- Christmas Garland And Advent Calendar - Dec 17, 2014