It’s been a great week with lots of activity in our Flickr group, the forums and especially on Twitter under #SITSpics! As usual, The SITS Community blows me away with its exceptional bloggers. I’ve had so much fun reading through your photo tips and looking at your shots!
A lot of information has been presented this week. Today we’re going to briefly review and share some great examples and articles contributed by the community. There’s also a challenge for the weekend which will give you an opportunity to complete the photo and blogging challenges if you haven’t already. There’s no time limit, so don’t feel rushed!
Day 1: Composition & Perspective
We went over composition and perspective and issued a challenge to take at least 20 shots with varying compositions and perspectives! Here’s some of what you came up with!
- Spring Photos of Estella – Tanya of A Rose and a Star did a photo shoot with her daughter with an iPhone using some beautiful pink and red flowers! If she hadn’t told me, I would not have guessed these were taken with a phone!
- SITS Day 1 – Composition & Perspective. Jenna gets down low with several perspectives of her little boy!
- iPhone Fun Day One at A Professor’s Wife. Wonderful post highlighting the amazing abilities of an iPhone camera!
- 2 Sunflowers Caress: Rule of Thirds at Curiousity Quotient. Jennifer shows us a beautiful example of applying the rule of thirds!
Day 2: Photo Editing & Collages
We covered that photo editing includes selecting your best shots and discarding the rest, then went over some free online photo editing and collage resources. Then we asked you to take a stab at editing your shots and including them in a post.
Photo Credit: Hannah at bubbleboo Photography
- Blog Tips and Tricks for a Delicious Blog at Great Fun 4 Kids Blog. Simone tipped us off about the free photo editing software Photoscape and shared her article on using it to make collages. Perfect!
- Hip Hip Hooray It’s Gymboree Day at ellie-town. Kristin shares her edits and collage created through Picnik!
- SITS Photo Challenge 1 & 2 at funny little world. Kirsten shares some creative perspectives of a teddy bear, plus an awesomely framed self-portrait!
- Lollipop by MOMmetime. Some “lessons learned” from the challenge and a great tip for working with kids!
- SITS Spring into Action Photo Challenge Day 2 – Image Editing at Relatively Chic. Sophie shares some great information about the tools she uses for editing: Photoshop and Lightroom.
Day 3: Lighting
This is one of the most difficult aspects of photography, so we went over some free and easy photo tips to make the most out of indoor and outdoor lighting, then challenged you to find the best lighting in and around your home!
Photo Credit: Cecily at My Chaos My Bliss
- Day 96 at 365 Days of Photos by Branson. Branson used some white paper to make a sort of light box for this wonderfully lit shot!
- Snap a Picture – Day 3 at Redo 101. Mary offers a great recap of the lighting article with cool examples!
- SITS Photo Challenge: Days 3&4 at Little Things. Beautiful examples of taking advantage of lighting conditions inside and outside your home!
Day 4: Social Networking Tips
We went over some ways to use Flickr and Twitter to promote your blog and improve your photography. Your challenge is to write a post about one of your favorite uses of social networking. I’m going to continue collecting ALL of your submissions to categorize and present in a forum post for your reference, so please continue to submit those articles on the forum or on Twitter using #SITSpics!
- Social Networking the Green Way at Green Earth Bazaar. Michelle talks about Hoot Suite, Feedly and Paper.li!
- PC Day 4 at Tails of an Apronista. Some concerns I think many of us have about social networking, namely that they’re a big time suck!
- Social Networking Day 4 at elle-town. Some tips on promoting yourself via Twitter and Facebook!
Next week we’re going to cover Repetition, Lines, Black and White and Color photo tips. In blogging tips, we’ll go over some easy ways to style your photos, what you need to know about image SEO and what steps you can take to protect your photos online.
Again, keep the great links coming! You can jump into the challenge at any time!
A Day in the Life Challenge!
This is a creative challenge for which you can utilize everything you’ve learned so far about composition, perspective and lighting!
Document a day in the life with photographs. From the top of the morning until the wee hours of night, take pictures throughout the day. Your DitL can center around your blog’s niche and doesn’t have to be personal in nature. A fashion blog might do a day in the life of a shoe or handbag while a food blog might try a day in the life of a stove or refrigerator.
You don’t need to use the photos all together in an entry, but you will probably find one or two that will work well for future blog posts!
Link up or share your experience documenting a day in the life on our forums! You can also share your photos in our Flickr group or Tweet about your experience using #SITSpics!
As an example, here’s a day in the life I did recently.
Have fun and I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- Five Free Tools to Monitor your Site - Jul 27, 2011
- #SITSpics First Monthly Photo Challenge! - Jul 7, 2011
- Using Google Analytics to Find Blog Topics - Jun 22, 2011
- #SITS31DBBB: What Did a Calendar Ever Do For You? - Jun 15, 2011
- #SITS31DBBB: Monitoring Content with Google Alerts! - Jun 12, 2011
- Spring into Action Photo Challenge Wrap-Up - Apr 14, 2011
- 5 Ways to Protect Photos on Your Blog - Apr 13, 2011
- Color and Contrast Photo Tips - Apr 12, 2011
- HTML and CSS Photo Basics: Learn How to Style Your Blog Photos - Apr 11, 2011
- Photo Lines and Repetition Tips - Apr 10, 2011