The importance of search engine optimization is something we’ve always tried to wrap our minds around at SITS because we have seen firsthand how paying attention to things like headings and domain names and keywords can dramatically improve the way a site is ranked.
Why should I care how my site is ranked?
You should only care about how your site is ranked if you want more people to find your blog so that you can grow traffic, gain readers, increase your influence and ultimately (hopefully) earn some money.
Part of doing this means asserting yourself as an expert on certain topics within your niche and when those topics are searched the goal is for your site to show up on the first page of Google’s search engine.
Why does the word “niche” keep coming up? I blog about everything and I’m proud of it!!
Many of us fight the idea of pigeon holing ourselves into a specific niche, but in the case of growing traffic and improving SEO, it’s actually a good idea. Even if your blog is about everything, you might want to think about honing in on a couple of things you do really well. Bloggers who limit their scope when writing have an easier time being found on the web.
Work on titling, describing, categorizing, and filling those posts with rich (and popular) keywords to become a subject matter expert while building your brand.
What else can I do to start optimizing my site?
I’m glad you asked. Here are some other easy things you can do today to improve your SEO:
- Optimize URLs: Ensure your post URLs reflect your keywords.
- Meta Descriptions: Add a brief and unique description to each page on your blog so your readers will be motivated to click.
- Tag Images: Add your keywords to your images. Change image titles from “image028837.jpg” to “healthy-recipes.jpg”.
- Claim Your Blog: Get access to the information Google has about your site. Add your site to Google Webmasters.
- Read this post on how to get your own domain.
- And read this post on how to use keywords to beef up your posts.
Our hope is that while our focus this month is on content, you will be able to take those next important steps involved in getting your content discovered by a wider audience.
How much do you pay attention to SEO and what are some things you’ve done to improve it?