I still recall when I was first entering the workforce years ago and writing my first resume. Even though it seems like a lifetime ago, I learned pretty quickly through my then college class what should and shouldn’t be on a resume to obtain a future job. These days, playing up what skills that you are proficient in is still essential to include. I have been blogging for over six years now. During this time, I have amassed many blogging skills! Quite a few of these could most definitely be put on a resume to obtain employment outside the home if I so choose to do so.
See, your resume should make you marketable for whatever job you would like to obtain. According to my then professor, I was to make sure to be my own advocate and tout these skills prominently on my resume. So, what blogging skills that I know and use often could indeed be listed on a resume for employment?
Well, read on to find out now.
6 Blogging Skills You Can Put On Your Resume:
When you blog, you are a writer. Writing is an essential skill that you must have to maintain a blog. Blogging means writing, because what blog article is complete without some words of wisdom on the topic of choice you are discussing? Therefore, the written word is a priority in blogging. Just about any profession you get into has some form of required writing. So I’m thankful for blogging and writing!
When I first started blogging 6+ years ago, I admit my photography skills were lacking. But wow, how that changed quickly enough. I mean if you look at my early blog articles, I am embarrassed by many of the photos I thought were passable. These days, I can proudly say that my photography has greatly improved. So much so that I can not only operate a DSLR camera, but I can also take some truly gorgeous photos when needed. So, photography is a skill that many bloggers (myself included) can most certainly use on a resume.
3. Web Design
When you blog, you most likely own or run a website. Let’s face it – most businesses now have their own websites. So being able to say that you know how to manage a website is an essential skill to list on a resume.
Taking photos is key, as I mentioned. Being able to edit them in Photoshop is also a wonderful skill to have under your belt. As a blogger, many of us know how to use Photoshop for photo editing and more. Photoshop happens to be a skill many current employers look for when they make hiring decisions. So, once again listing this on a resume is a huge bonus.
5. Social Media/Marketing
As bloggers, we have to put ourselves out there daily. What better way than to share socially on the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram. Knowing these social media outlets, as well as how to use them for marketing purposes, is also another wonderful skill to have on your resume. Thankfully blogging does help with this one, too.
This one may not be for all bloggers. However, many of us bloggers do have some knowledge of coding and HTML. Trust me that in this technological business world, possessing even low-level coding and HTML essentials is a great skill to have on your resume.
There you have it with 6 blogging skills that you can most definitely use on a resume for employment!
Which blogging skills can you put on your resume?
Now, share with us in the comments.
Read on to see what Customer Service Skills Every Blogger Needs! Gosh, we’re talented.
- 6 Blogging Skills You Can Put On Your Resume - Oct 4, 2018
- 5 Tasks Top Bloggers Do at the Beginning of Every Month - Sep 27, 2018
- 8 Simple Steps to Create Your First WordPress Blog Post - Apr 17, 2018
- 8 Secrets Every Food Blogger Needs To Know - Feb 9, 2018
- 9 Crucial Steps to Write a Killer Blog Post - Dec 27, 2017
- You Have A URL, Now What? Next Steps to Blogging Success - Aug 21, 2017
- How To Connect With Your Writing Tribe - May 31, 2017
- 3 Benefits Of Facebook Scheduling For Bloggers - Oct 7, 2016
- Creating Beautiful Website Color Combinations in Three Easy Steps - Aug 25, 2016
- 5 Tips for De-Stressing Your Blog Routine - Jul 6, 2016
- How to Run a Successful Blog Giveaway in 5 Easy Steps - Jun 14, 2016
- 10 Hacks For Your WordPress Blog - Jun 3, 2016
- How To Use Facebook Targeting On Your Page - Mar 18, 2016
- How to Ace Self-Care In Your Social Media Space - Jan 4, 2016
- 12 Delightful Design Ideas For Facebook Page Cover Photos - Dec 11, 2015