This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As a startup business, it’s scary to think about the fact that 90% of startups will fail. While that statistic may seem discouraging, it’s ultimately a truth that all startup owners will want to keep in mind. Knowing this, you should be dedicated to working as efficiently as possible. In this case, you want to be in the 10%. Today I’m going to show you how blogging is beneficial for startups. It can help one find its legs in more ways than one. In fact, we’ll look at 8 ways something as simple as a blog can keep you in the upper tier of startups that avoid failure and find success.
8 Ways Blogging Is Beneficial For Startups
As a startup, your biggest goal in the long-term is to create a profitable and sustainable business. Part of this involves building a brand that is recognizable and engenders a loyal following. Once you’ve created a website, you have a direct conduit between you and your audience. It has a lot of power that you can use to increase your odds of success.
1. Increase Your Ranking on Search Engines
One thing startups will hear about a lot in today’s day and age is Search Engine Optimization or SEO. This is the science of creating content that ranks as high as possible when you search for certain terms, known as keywords. When you create content for your blog, Google indexes these pages and adds them to its database — this is so beneficial for startups. Depending on how well you’ve covered the subject at hand, Google will rank you in the top spaces for certain keywords. Here are some quick SEO tips:
- Research keywords that relate to your topic
- Always write for readers, not search engines
- Go in-depth with each topic you discuss
- Link to relevant sources or to additional information
This is just the surface of what your blog can do for SEO rankings. The more you blog, the more SEO benefits you’ll receive.
2. Become an Authority in Your Industry
Creating strong and high-quality blog content does more than just boost your chances of being ranked highly by search engines. It also puts you in a position as an authority in your industry. The more useful and valuable content you produce, the more you show your readers that you have valuable knowledge to offer them. To further improve this effect, consider some of these tips when writing new blog posts:
- Always aim to provide value in some form (information, humor, facts, etc.)
- Link to your source and to data that backs up your points.
- Look at your competitors to see which topics are resonating well with your audience/industry
3. Attach Your Blog to Your Domain
A blog is the perfect place to introduce new and exciting ideas. If you’re looking for funding or investors, showing them a blog is a great way to convey your ideas in a meaningful way. Keep in mind that your blog should never be used solely to promote your product. Instead, your blog should be part of a bigger inbound marketing strategy that brings new customers (and investors) into your brand and introduces them to what you’re doing as a business. If your business has a static website, be sure to attach your blog to it, and make it simple for people to navigate from one to the other. This will create a cohesive connections between your blog and your business.
4. Develop Your Brand’s Voice and Style
Your blog is a proving ground for yourself and your business. Here you can evolve your writing skills while also creating a unique voice for your business. This is just one of the ways blogging makes you a better writer. As you continue developing your blog, you’ll find that you pick up new skills and learn more about the types of content that resonates with your audience. Interacting with readers in the comments section is also a great way to interact with potential customers and further understand their motivations and needs.
5. Build a Strong Community
Blogs have the potential to build a community of loyal followers for your brand, but only if you use it the right way. For a startup, this can create a huge advantage in the form of loyal customers ready to buy at a moment’s notice. Here are some things to keep in mind as you seek to build this following:
- Always respond to your comments
- Start building an email list immediately
- Talk to your followers on social media
- Always give them useful content.
6. Start Promoting on Social Media
A blog is the first step towards a full social media marketing strategy. Creating a presence for yourself on today’s platforms like Facebook and Twitter is only possible by promoting posts from your blog and giving people a reason to like and share. Your blog is also the best place to create landing pages for visitors who are coming from social media to purchase your product or learn more. This is all the more important when you consider that 84% of consumers make purchases after reading about a product or service on a blog.
7. Host Webinars
The idea of an online seminar may seem odd, but plenty of startups have been using this formula for success. Take a look at Moz for example. This startup went from zero-to-hero by simply providing marketing tools and SEO knowledge. You’ll notice that they regularly host webinars of their own that focus on topics the industry is interested in. Once you’ve found those subjects that are hot topics in your community, plan a webinar by following these steps:
- Start planning and create a schedule
- Choose a topic that your audience cares about
- Decide on a Webinar software you want to use
- Create slides using a tool like Slideshare
- Create landing pages for registration
- Practice and do dry runs
8. Gain New Customers Via Word-of-Mouth
Ultimately startups need word-of-mouth like they need capital. If people start talking about them and sharing their product with others, then they are on a path to success. Your blog acts as a place for people to find out more about your brand, but it’s also a place where you can encourage people to share and spread the word of your brand. There are numerous ways you can use word-of-mouth marketing on your blog, but here are some of the best ones:
- Create an email campaign encouraging users to forward it to their friends/family
- Start a referral campaign where you offer discounts for readers who send customers to you
- Create shareable content on your site
A blog is a powerful thing for startups. It has a lot of potential to do great things for the company in a number of different ways. Ultimately, every business should have one. How do you utilize your blog for business purposes? Let us know in the comments!
Author Bio: Sherry Goldberg
Sherry Goldberg is a WordPress blogger who has helped launch several successful startups. These days she’s more focused on raising her two beautiful boys and helping other bloggers find their place on the world wide web.
Read our top blogging tips to help you start a successful blog!
- Shop Smarter: Thrifting And Decluttering Strategy - Aug 29, 2020
- Cucumber and Hummus Bites - Aug 27, 2020
- 10 Steps To Writing A Book And Getting It Published - Jan 3, 2020
- Create Your Dream Closet With These 20 Easy Tips - Dec 29, 2019
- How To Revive Your Blog After A Break - Jan 10, 2019
- Photography Tips From A Pro Blogger - Apr 9, 2018
- How to Write More Blog Posts, Easily, in Less Time - Feb 19, 2018
- Zucchini Banana Bread - Jan 11, 2018
- Building Your Author Platform - Jan 10, 2018
- 7 Thrifty Sewing Storage Ideas - Jan 5, 2018
- How To Handle Criticism As A Creative - Jan 4, 2018
- Maple Bourbon Apple Pie Recipe - Dec 23, 2017
- 4 Things That Could Be Killing Your Creativity - Nov 13, 2017
- Get Ready To Write Every Day – These Four Tips Will Help - Nov 6, 2017
- Creating Quality Instagram Content - Oct 30, 2017