Imagine that you have a new visitor to your blog. They may have stumbled onto your homepage, or a post you wrote several years ago, or a post that went viral. They might like your content enough that they want to read more, but they want to read the very best, the latest, or the most popular content that your blog has to offer. That is where a start here page will come into play. Your blog needs a start here page. I’m going to tell you why, and give you some ideas what to include.
Your Blog Needs A Start Here Page
This page is different from your about me page. Your about me page is about you and showcases you. With a start here page, you’re able to showcase your best work to keep your new reader intrigued.
The Construction Of Your Start Here Page:
- Be sure to name your Start Here page so people know exactly what it is.
Try calling it start here, getting started or (your blog name) 101.
- Place your start here page’s link in your top navigation bar or sidebar of your blog. This is a page you want people to notice!
- Be brief! This is just a summary of what readers can expect.
Things You Could Include On Your Start Here Page:
- Links to specific pages or categories on your blog
- Links to your top posts
- Links to your landing pages
- Include a welcome video
- A summary of what your readers will find on your blog
- A gentle nudge to your mailing list or social media sites
Do you have a start here page already? If you don’t, I highly recommend you create a start here page today. They can be a great addition to your blog. My start here page is the third most visited page on my blog. Since I’ve implemented this page I’ve seen a decrease in my bounce rate, because people are visiting 2-4 more pages instead of just 1-2 pages. That is pretty awesome.
Want more tips to help decrease your bounce rate?
Check out this post on maintaining a low bounce rate.
- Tips For Working With Brands - Nov 5, 2018
- Mistakes People Make When Trying To Monetize Blogs - Oct 23, 2017
- How To Create A Roundup Post The Right Way - Jul 17, 2017
- Top Marketing Strategies Every Blogger Should Utilize - Sep 23, 2016
- 20 Blogging Must-Haves - Aug 24, 2016
- Places To Promote Your Post After You Hit Publish - Jun 7, 2016
- Blog Mistakes That Can Make You Lose Readers - May 18, 2016
- How To Make Over Your Old Blog Posts - Apr 20, 2016
- Recycle Your Old Blog Posts - Mar 15, 2016
- Everything You Need To Know About Rebranding Your Blog - Mar 9, 2016
- Creative Disclosures For Sponsored Posts - Dec 2, 2015
- 5 Calls To Action To Add To Your Blog Posts - Nov 24, 2015
- Use This Checklist After You Publish Your Next Blog Post - Nov 10, 2015
- Use This Checklist Before You Publish Your Next Blog Post - Oct 20, 2015
- Choosing Effective Colors For Your Blog - Oct 2, 2015