\"\"
Announcements

A Song for Maddie

By Nov 11, 2011January 26th, 201510 Comments

This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Today, Heather Spohr’s daughter Maddie should be celebrating her fourth birthday. Instead, it will be the third birthday that Heather and her family have spent without her. You can read all about Maddie here.

The Spohrs started a charity a few years ago, called Friends of Maddie, that helps families with children in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) get through very emotionally taxing and scary times. Friends of Maddie support the families of critically ill and premature babies by easing the transition into NICU life and providing an ally until the end of their child’s hospital stay.

This year, the Spohrs decided to do something different to help raise funds for Friends of Maddie.

They recorded a song – a song where Mike and Heather actually sing in their own voices. A few of their friends suggested they put the song on iTunes. They thought:

“What if we put up a song, and use it as a fundraiser for Friends of Maddie?”

And so they did.

The Spohrs hope to sell enough copies of the song to help them fund Friends of Maddie’s expansion in 2012 by supplying grants and scholarships to NICU families in addition to the Family Support Packs that we presently send – free of charge – to Level III NICUs across the nation.

100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song will go to Friends of Maddie. All recording and distribution costs were covered by the Spohr family.  The song is called  You Are the One – Friends of Maddie and it’s a 99 cent download on iTunes.

99 cents, SITStahs. Skip downloading the latest Katy Perry song today and help families in need. It’s so quick and easy to do.

The song is also available via Amazon, Spotify, Medianet, eMusic, Zune, Rhapsody, I Heart Radio, VerveLife, Nokia, and Napster.

Friends of Maddie

What Your Money Goes To

Friends of Maddies provides valuable services to NICU families such as:

• Providing NICU Family Support Packs to the nursing staff of Level III NICU’s across the country which are distributed, at their discretion, to families of children being admitted to the NICU for long term care.
  • Assist in finding temporary lodging for families who live beyond commuting distance of the NICU that is treating their child.
  • Create a network of former NICU families who are willing to provide counseling and more to families currently in the NICU.

Not every child’s entry into this world is an easy one, but by supporting Friends of Maddie you can ensure that their families don’t have to go it alone.

Come on, bloggers. You never disappoint us with your ability to rally around an important and meaningful cause. Head over to iTunes today and honor Maddie’s memory.

Friends of Maddie is a 501(c)(3) not for profit charity. All donations are tax deductible.

About Alina Thomas

Alina is a Northern Virginia wedding photographer based out of Leesburg, VA. She has a passion for arts and design, and strives to express it through her work. She is creative at heart and loves nothing more than sharing her knowledge in photography with other Virginia wedding photographers on her blog each week. Alina loves being a new mom to her first-born and spending time with her husband who helps her run her businesses. Please feel free to follow her on: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or Google+.

10 Comments

• Jessica says:

Such a great cause and so happy to see it here. Three of my children were in the NICU and families need all of the support they can get when their babies are there.

• Charlotte says:

What a great idea this is and wonderful charity. My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

• I love this charity, I’m glad it’s getting the recognition it deserves!

• Do it, ladies! This is a GREAT charity!

• Leo says:

Hi!

What you are doing is indeed a great support for NICU families. My wife is a pediatrician and she knows what a family with a premature child goes through. By raising such funds, it would be a great relief for them. I will surely buy the song for Maddie.

Regards,
    Leo

• I know this journey all too well. We spent 11 weeks in the NICU. I’m so thankful that for the hard work and dedication of our NICU staff, they kept us informed, comforted and most importantly did everything they could to ensure a positive outcome. I’m so sorry for those families that have experienced loss due to prematurity and the circumstances that can sometimes come with that and it reminds me to be thankful each and everyday for my beautiful little girls….terrible 2’s and all. 🙂

• Mama Kat says:

I love that little baby and of course downloaded her sweet song. 🙂

• This is a fantastic idea and a great charity. I never could have imagined how hard it can be to have a baby in the NICU until my twins were there. The 6 hardest weeks of my life. Please download this song and help make things a little easier for a NICU family.