\"\"
Challenges

#SITSClass: More on Pillar Content & Connections

By Sep 12, 2011 May 16th, 2012 7 Comments

This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Here we are at Day 3 of our Problogger event.  Our focus today is not only creating pillar content, but also working on building relationships.

On Thursday, we spent a great deal of time mind mapping and coming up with some great ideas for our ideas folder. Today, we are takings things to the next level and brainstorming even more in order to expand our topic reach and break our ideas into more subtopics that might possibly lead to a post series.

Expanded Pillar Content

Let’s take a look back at Problogger’s poodle example and see how his first mind map was executed.

how to blog

Brainstorming Your Pillar Content

As you can see, each one of these subtopics can stand on its own and act as a single post.  As I mentioned above, you can even take things one step further and create subtopics that lend themselves to a post series.

Expanding on your mind map is also a great time to figure out different ways to present ideas. In other words, should you consider video posts? How about pdf handouts? Don’t be afraid to get creative!

Building Relationships

With this round of brainstorming under your belt, it is now time to start working on building new relationships. Last week, we were challenged to join a few social media sites and perhaps look for a few niche related communities. Did you get active and say hi as a way to introduce yourself?

So much of blogging is about conversation: the writing you do via your posts and the connections you form via social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. After a few years of blogging, I have come to understand that everything gets back to building solid relationships.

Group Activity

Do you have a few followers on your blog? Your activity today is to take the time to check out their blogs and leave comments to start a conversation. And don’t forget to stop by and thank someone who has left you a comment.

It all goes back to the basics of good manners.  And in this case, a little goes a long way!

Learn everything you need to know about today’s activity in The SITS Girls forum here.

More From Our Problogger Series

Get caught up on all of our posts in this series from Problogger:

About Shelley

For the last 3 years, Shelley has been chronicling her family’s life at I’m Still Standing. She is a special needs mom of two girls and a creative person ready to jump into any situation with both feet! She'd love to meet and chat with you any time. You can find Shelley on Twitter @shelleyellen.

7 Comments

• Alison says:

So true! I was at a loss when I started blogging two months ago and didn’t realize the inherent value in responding and being fully “hooked up” through social media. I guess it’s just like real life: we need those person-to-person interactions to make the effect we want to create through our blogs. Here’s to more sharing and socializing!

• Denise says:

What an awesome way to expand topics on your blog! I think I do that kind of unconsciously, but I haven’t written out a little brainstorm like that. Thanks for the helpful tip 🙂

• Thanks for the reminder in regard to branching out, and showing kindness.

Couldn’t agree more!!!

• Building relationships… so very true. I noticed when I go to other sites and communicate, then others come visit me and communicate. A fun way to get to know other moms and learn about how they manage it all!

• Marie Cole says:

Yep I completely agree. 🙂

• Building relationships is the KEY! Great post!

• I have really found that building relationships has been key to gaining blog readers and traffic. And I enjoy connecting with them, so it is a win/win.
    I am in the process of setting up a Facebook page so I hope that I can use that forum as well to build more relationships.