This summer I have been on the quest for some super cute beach towels! Nothing too over the top, but something with a little design. I couldn’t find what I wanted, so I decided to make my own. This DIY Custom Beach Towel tutorial is super easy. You can make your own design with a few simple items from around the house! It’s a perfect personalization project for a birthday present, too.
DIY Custom Beach Towel
Custom Beach Towel Supplies (this post contains affiliate links):
Shopping Tip: The darker the color of the towel, the better the design will show up.
How To Make A Custom Beach Towel
Before you start the project you will need to pick a design. I chose a simple starfish, because you can arrange it in so many different patterns. I also decided to make another towel with words.
Once you pick your design, print it out on the computer and size it to the paper. The starfish I used was roughly 8 inches across. In order to make a word stencil I printed the letters out to fit the entire 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper.
After your design is printed, cut it out and trace it on to a piece of cardboard. Cut the design out of the cardboard so you have a stencil.
When your stencil is cut out it is time to place it on the towel. Spread the towel out so it is completely flat and arrange the stencil. Make sure you cover all parts of the towel you do not want to bleach. I used extra boxes and pieces of cardboard I had lying around.
To make the dots on the starfish, I knew I needed something that would be heavy enough to stay on the towel while I sprayed the bleach. Quarters and dimes worked perfectly! I arranged the quarters near the center of the starfish and then placed the dimes going out towards the tip!
To make the bleach solution, mix equal parts bleach and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on to the starfish pattern. Again, make sure that you are avoiding the areas that are not part of the design. The bleach should be applied so the towel is wet, but not dripping or completely saturated. It is best to spray about 8 inches away from the design.
Let the towel dry for about 15 minutes and then remove the the cardboard stencil and coins. Rinse the towel under water to remove excess bleach and wash in cold water. Dry the towel, and you are ready for summer fun!
It is so fun to play around with the design of the towels. This is a great way to take a basic towel and customize it for a theme or special occasion.
For my towel with words on it I chose the phrase “Make Waves” because I thought it was a cute, beachy term! Other cute designs include an anchor, sand dollars, or sea horses!
We love anything fun or beachy! It could also be as simple as adding a child’s name. The more customization, the better! Play around and make it your own!
- Ham & Cheese Hand Pies - May 13, 2019
- Mermaid Garden - May 9, 2019
- The Best Pool and Beach Accessories For This Summer - Apr 24, 2019
- The Ultimate Trash Bash Garbage Truck Party - Mar 29, 2019
- Birdseed Eggs to Make For Spring - Mar 20, 2019
- Spring Paper Napkin Butterflies - Mar 13, 2019
- How to Schedule Facebook Posts And Save Time For Free - Mar 11, 2019
- Homemade Baileys Irish Cream - Mar 4, 2019
- 10 Educational Books For Kids That Are Fun To Read - Feb 25, 2019
- 10 of the Best Day Planners to Keep You On Track - Feb 13, 2019
- 30+ of the Best Chocolate Recipes - Feb 7, 2019
- Staging Staples: The Best Items for the Best Pictures - Jan 31, 2019
- 4 DIY Valentine Mailboxes - Jan 21, 2019
- Printable Tic Tac Toe Valentines - Jan 17, 2019
- Lollipop Bouquet - Jan 16, 2019