This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Rainbow food is everywhere. It is no longer just for children’s birthdays, it has made itself into bagels, donuts, grilled cheese. The thing about rainbow food is, it makes you instantly happy. What could be better than combining cupcakes and rainbow colors… nothing! It is absolute perfection! We love eating rainbow cupcakes. The best part about this recipe is the rainbow swirl cupcake frosting. The trick to make beautifully swirled rainbow cupcakes is much easier than you think!
For this cupcake recipe, we will be teaching you how to make rainbow cupcakes and the secret for rainbow swirled cupcake frosting. Here are the basic tools you will need (this post contains affiliate links):
- Cupcake Pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Extra Large Frosting Tip
- Large Silicone Pastry Bag
- Disposable Frosting Bags
- Electric Mixer
- 3 Small Bowls
Rainbow Cupcake Recipe
Rainbow Cupcake Ingredients:
- White or Yellow boxed cake mix
- 4 Eggs
- 3.9 oz of Vanilla Pudding Mix (the small box)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- Gel Food Coloring
The mixture will be on the thicker side, which is absolutely perfect for the next step. Separate the batter into 3 bowls. Add whatever food coloring colors that you chose to each of their respective bowls. I chose orange, pink, and blue! I prefer to use gel food coloring, because it produces a richer color. Mix the colors into the batter so there is no more white batter.
Next, take each color of batter and pour it into a disposable pastry bag.
Tip: It is easier if you rest the disposable bag in a tall cup in order to fill it in the most mess free way possible!
Snip off the top of each bag, and you are ready to swirl! Chose your first color and swirl it into the bottom of the cupcake liner. Take the next bag and do the same thing. Repeat the process until the liners are about 3/4th the way filled. Once you have filled all the cupcake liners, you are ready to bake them! Bake your cupcakes according to the time on the back of the cake mix box. Allow them to cool before frosting.
Cupcake Frosting Recipe
Cupcake Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Crisco
- 2 Teaspoons Clear Vanilla Extract
- 2 lbs Powdered Sugar
- 5-9 Tablespoons Warm Milk
- Gel Food Coloring
- Edible Glitter (optional)
Tip: Make sure you start the mixer on slow, or the powdered sugar will fly everywhere!
Once the sugar is mixed into the butter mixture it will be a thick paste and appear lumpy. Heat your milk for about 20 seconds in the microwave and slowly begin adding the warm milk. Combine one tablespoon at a time. Allow the mixture to completely combine before you add the next tablespoon. The lumps will start to disappear and smooth out. Stop adding the milk when your frosting is the texture of toothpaste.
Separate the frosting into 3 different bowls. Add your food coloring to each of the 3 bowls. I matched my frosting colors to the cake batter colors, but you can use any color you like. Stir the frosting in the bowls until they are all combined. Add each color frosting to its own disposable pastry bag.
This last step is the key to getting perfect swirled cupcake frosting. Snip the top of each disposable bag and add all three bags to the large silicone pastry bag. All the bags should have the tip snipped and positioned towards the metal tip. Squeeze the frosting out until you see all three colors coming out at once.
How To Pipe Rainbow Swirled Cupcake Frosting
Pipe a circle of frosting on the top of the cupcake. Next pull the bag up immediately and pipe another circle on top, then push down and pull up to create a peak! The key to making your swirls match is to make a base circle for the rest of the frosting to sit on!
It really is that easy! Continue frosting all the cupcakes using the same technique. You can even add edible glitter if you want an extra shimmer!
We used this same frosting technique to make patriotic cupcakes over the summer. If you want to see a quick and easy demonstration of the cupcake frosting piping, check out the video in our patriotic cupcakes post. It’s less than a minute long!
What are YOUR favorite colors for rainbow cupcakes?
- Black Bean Tacos With Lime Cilantro Slaw - Jan 4, 2020
- DIY Confetti Poppers - Dec 31, 2019
- Decorate Your House Like A Gingerbread House With This Giant Candy Garland - Dec 13, 2019
- Turn Pool Noodles Into Giant Lollipops - Dec 12, 2019
- Giant Popcorn Garland - Dec 11, 2019
- Mesh Poinsettia Christmas Decor - Dec 10, 2019
- Gift Wrapping Party - Dec 9, 2019
- Handmade Christmas Tree Ornaments With Toilet Paper Rolls And Toothpicks - Dec 8, 2019
- Cranberry Champagne Cocktail - Dec 7, 2019
- How to Turn Christmas Cards Into a Photo Garland - Dec 5, 2019
- How to Host a Cookie Exchange Party - Dec 3, 2019
- Rudolph Wreath - Dec 2, 2019
- Paper Doiley Christmas Trees - Dec 1, 2019
- Target is Selling $15 Sock Advent Calendars in tons of themes! - Sep 19, 2019
- The Greatest Showman Circus Inspired Costumes - Sep 12, 2019