This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As bloggers we all know what it’s like to have a friend look at us with a blank stare when we tell them that we blog. Then we automatically launch into explaining what we mean, giving them small details, backing up from the initial excitement we had about sharing this to begin with.
It’s been so awkward that many a blogger has turned their statement into a whisper. “I have a blog.”
Let me tell you something. There are so many things that you can say in response to that seemingly small statement. So many supportive and incredible things.
And so many you should not.
Eight things you should NEVER say to a blogger.
I have been on the receiving end of so many of the things that should not be said to a blogger. Just so you know you are not alone, I’ve compiled some of my least favorite responses to, “I have a blog.”
1) Oh, that’s cute!
Puppies are cute. Babies are cute. Blogs aren’t cute. Bloggers work hard at coming up with fresh content regularly. They brainstorm and design and find new ways to inspire their readers. It’s not cute. It’s fantastic.
If someone tells you that they blog and you ask them why? That’s like someone asking you why you read a book. Or why you go to work. Or why you pick up your kids from school every day. They want to. For many bloggers they have to. It’s a part of who they are.
3) Do you think you’re going to write a book or something?
Maybe. Just maybe. But with that attitude I’m pretty sure that I’m not going to trust you enough to tell you.
4. Oh, I blogged once.
Once? One post does not a blog make. If you have real blogging experience? PLEASE. Share. Talk to us about what happened. Why you stopped. Let us tell you why we haven’t. Don’t brush us off and think you know what blogging is all about if you blogged “once,” because it’s not cool. I’ve skied once, and believe me, I still know nothing about skiing.
5. That’s nice.
Yes. It is. But that kind of response is pretty canned. This is something we do because we love to. It’s kind of like your pottery, jewelry-making, Etsy shop. It’s a part of who we are. It’s nice, but it’s more than nice. Wouldn’t you like to learn more about it?
6. Do you know ______ (insert *famous* blogger’s name here)?
Sure, the blogging world may seem small, but that’s like asking me if I know your aunt because she grew up in Brooklyn. I probably don’t. But if you ask me if I know OF someone, I probably do.
7. What do YOU have to write about?
It’s the accusatory YOU there, that is off-putting. You know what? I write. And people read what I write. So there!
8. And lastly? Whatever might be upsetting to you if someone asked you that same question or said that same comment about your job or your interest or something that is important to you.
Because if you were asked a question that insinuated that what you’re doing wasn’t of value or seemed somewhat condescending? You’d be cranky, too.
So if you have a friend who blogs? Ask them for their website. Offer them support. Ask them what they write about. Find out why they like it. Because I’m certain we could all learn a lot from one another that way!
As a blogger, have you ever had someone say one of these things to you?
Are you looking for more blogging support? Here are a few posts you’ll find helpful:
- Everything You Wished You Had Known About Blogging From The Beginning
- Why Inspiration And Passion Are Vital In Blogging
- The Unspoken Rules Of Blogging Etiquette
- Five Simple Changes That Will Lead To A Happier Day - Aug 28, 2020
- Sharing Is Powerful: Why Supporting Other Bloggers Is Good For You - Apr 28, 2016
- 12 Good Books You Must Read in 2016! - Jan 7, 2016
- Why I Love Blogging With Blogger - Sep 29, 2015
- 6 Great Books You Need To Read This Fall - Aug 31, 2015
- Blogging Question: How Often Should You Post? - Aug 27, 2015
- 12 Hour Back To School Adventure With Caribou Coffee - Aug 20, 2015
- Stop The Summer Slump Day 1: Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone - Jun 15, 2015
- Women You Should Be Following On Instagram - Jun 14, 2015
- The 10 Best Books By Bloggers Just Like You - May 13, 2015
- Your Small Stories Are Important - Apr 7, 2015
- 8 Places to Submit Your Writing - Mar 23, 2015
- Good Books By Male Authors You Need to be Reading - Mar 5, 2015
- 10 Random Acts of Kindness - Feb 23, 2015
- 12 Recipes For The Big Game - Jan 26, 2015