This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy Friday! Today’s the last in our series of great DIY holiday (or anytime!) gifts and crafts with Mandy of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. On Monday we covered a No-Sew Growth Chart, and Wednesday, an adorable Hair Bow Holder. Today, Mandy shows you how to take family photos and turn then into a lovely DIY canvas art!
Typical 8×10 photo canvases are $30-40 each, so this is a marvelous idea for your own home or as a gift!
Supplies you’ll need
- 4 canvases ($8.99 during a buy one, get one free sale)
- Two scrapbook pages (2/$1).
- 4 8×10 pictures printed at Walgreens ($11)
- Mod Podge
- Paper cutter
Prepare the sides of the canvas
I first covered each canvas with Mod Podge. Then, I cut the strips of paper, and pasted them onto each side of the canvas. (cut the strips and the photos a teeny bit shorter – you want there to be white space)
Prep the photos
Then I turned each picture over, coated it with Mod Podge,and carefully applied it to each canvas and smoothed everything out very well. Then I applied Mod Podge to everything. (It’s white, but dries clear)
Sponge paint the photos
Then I took a dry sponge and “sponged” paint onto the white areas of the canvas and along the sides of the picture to kind of “blend” it together. It’s supposed to look antiquey and shabby chic. The tutorial used black – I used white, but you can use any color I’m sure.
Then let dry! All in all, it took about 2 hours to complete.
About The Author
Mandy is the author of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. She blogs all about raising her boy/girl twins. Go check it out for lots of fun, humor, DIY, fashion, photography and toddler giggles.
- Finding Your Friends on Instagram - May 3, 2022
- Magic Mosaic Easter Egg Coloring - Apr 4, 2022
- 11 Recipes For National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day - Feb 24, 2022
- Our Favorite Things – 2021 Edition (Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaways!) - Nov 15, 2021
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe - Sep 2, 2021
- Essential Camera Gear For Beginning Photographers - Aug 31, 2021
- Low Light Photography Tips for the Holidays - Nov 11, 2020
- DIY 30-Minute Thanksgiving Tree - Nov 8, 2020
- The Spanish Princess Part 2 Is Coming - Oct 8, 2020
- Fabric Pumpkins – DIY in 15 Minutes - Sep 9, 2020
- Jack-O-Lantern Marshmallow Pops - Sep 7, 2020
- DIY Mini Herb Garden - Aug 30, 2020
- Step by Step Plan to Drive Traffic to A New Blog - Aug 30, 2020
- Six Tips to Reduce Stress In Your Life - Aug 30, 2020
- How To Take A Food Photo From Good To Great - Aug 30, 2020