Happy Friday! Today’s the last in our series of great DIY holiday (or anytime!) gifts and crafts with Mandy of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. On Monday we covered a No-Sew Growth Chart, and Wednesday, an adorable Hair Bow Holder. Today, Mandy shows you how to take family photos and turn then into a lovely DIY canvas art!
Typical 8×10 photo canvases are $30-40 each, so this is a marvelous idea for your own home or as a gift!
Supplies you’ll need
- 4 canvases ($8.99 during a buy one, get one free sale)
- Two scrapbook pages (2/$1).
- 4 8×10 pictures printed at Walgreens ($11)
- Mod Podge
- Paper cutter
Prepare the sides of the canvas
I first covered each canvas with Mod Podge. Then, I cut the strips of paper, and pasted them onto each side of the canvas. (cut the strips and the photos a teeny bit shorter – you want there to be white space)
Prep the photos
Then I turned each picture over, coated it with Mod Podge,and carefully applied it to each canvas and smoothed everything out very well. Then I applied Mod Podge to everything. (It’s white, but dries clear)
Sponge paint the photos
Then I took a dry sponge and “sponged” paint onto the white areas of the canvas and along the sides of the picture to kind of “blend” it together. It’s supposed to look antiquey and shabby chic. The tutorial used black – I used white, but you can use any color I’m sure.
Then let dry! All in all, it took about 2 hours to complete.
About The Author
Mandy is the author of The Fabulous Baby Striblings. She blogs all about raising her boy/girl twins. Go check it out for lots of fun, humor, DIY, fashion, photography and toddler giggles.
- How a Professional Photographer Stores Photos Online - Sep 26, 2018
- 5 Kids Photos Every Mom Should Take - Sep 13, 2018
- 3 Easy Photography Projects to Try this Summer - Jun 11, 2018
- 3 Ways To Document Your Family Vacation With Photographs - Apr 18, 2018
- How to Create Cover Photos for Instagram Story Highlights - Mar 14, 2018
- How To Share Photos From Lightroom To Instagram - Jan 24, 2018
- 3 Tips for Photographing Your Everyday Life - Sep 4, 2017
- What to Do When You Don’t Have Access to Natural Light - Jul 24, 2017
- How to Take a Perfect Flat Lay Photograph - May 24, 2017
- How To Take Great Instagram Photos - Feb 24, 2017