Curious about how to create that perfectly styled Instagram flat lay photograph? Here are our secrets for photographing a seemingly curated flat lay.
How to Take a Perfect Flat Lay Photograph
1. Use natural lighting
My number one tip for photographing a flat lay image (and pretty much anything else) is to be mindful of your source of light. Natural light gives images a beautiful, soft look. This means that everything in your photograph is evenly lit, avoiding heavy shadows.
To achieve this look, make sure to set up your flat lays next to a big window in order to have an abundance of natural light available.
2. Use a clean, plain backdrop
Sometimes less is more. Neutral backgrounds work best when photographing flat lays. This ensures your products stand out and do not compete with the background. If you’re ever in a rut, make sure to check out our post about backgrounds under $10.
Some of the most popular backgrounds are: foam board, marble contact paper, and construction paper.
3. Use the rule of odds
Studies have shown that things are more pleasing to the eye when grouped in odd numbers. When styling your flat lay photograph, make sure to have a focal point grouped in 3 (or another odd number). I promise it will make a difference.
As always, practice makes perfect. So make sure to arrange and rearrange your props until you are satisfied with the end result. Always take more shots than you think you’ll need and play around with the distance between your camera and your subject, as well as the distance between the objects you are styling. More often than not, you are going to realize that your props need to be closer together than you initially thought they did.
More Photography Tips
- How a Professional Photographer Stores Photos Online - Sep 26, 2018
- 5 Kids Photos Every Mom Should Take - Sep 13, 2018
- 3 Easy Photography Projects to Try this Summer - Jun 11, 2018
- 3 Ways To Document Your Family Vacation With Photographs - Apr 18, 2018
- How to Create Cover Photos for Instagram Story Highlights - Mar 14, 2018
- How To Share Photos From Lightroom To Instagram - Jan 24, 2018
- 3 Tips for Photographing Your Everyday Life - Sep 4, 2017
- What to Do When You Don’t Have Access to Natural Light - Jul 24, 2017
- How to Take a Perfect Flat Lay Photograph - May 24, 2017
- How To Take Great Instagram Photos - Feb 24, 2017
- 3 Tips For Completing A Project 365 - Jan 9, 2017
- How To Start A 365 Photography Project - Jan 4, 2017
- 3 Blog Photography Backgrounds Under $10 - Aug 31, 2016
- Tips For Photographing Your Own Kids - Aug 3, 2016
- How To Plan For Your Wedding Photos - Jul 8, 2016