This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Capturing good Instagram photos with your phone is not as hard as it seems! You do not have to be a professional photographer in order to be able to create beautiful images that will make people rave about your Instagram feed and want to stay in touch by becoming trusted Instagram followers. As a Washington DC wedding photographer, here are my top three tips for taking better pictures for Instagram!
How To Take Great Instagram Photos
1. Clean Background
This is, perhaps, the most important tip you can implement right away and see a difference. Distracting backgrounds tend to shift the focus away from your subject, whereas, uniform backgrounds make for a more clean image. Personally, I love using neutral backdrops for my photos, but there are many photography background options out there that you can choose from.
In order for me to achieve the light and airy look I am going for in my Instagram feed, I make sure to photograph in natural light as much as possible. I usually style my products near a window so that my images are always nice and bright.
When necessary, I use a reflector (this can be as simple as using an envelope or a white piece of paper) on the side that has shadows, just to soften the dark spots a little bit.
3. Rule Of Odds
Studies have shown that things look more aesthetically pleasing when grouped in three (or odd numbers). Meaning, photos that showcase an odd number of items are more appealing to your viewers. So when you’re staging your pictures, try using an odd number of products to highlight.
Are you implementing these tips already? Let us know how they are working for you!
Do you have more tips to add to the list? Share them in the comments below.
More Photography Tips
- How To Start A 365 Photography Project - Jan 1, 2020
- 3 Ways To Document Your Family Vacation With Photographs - May 6, 2019
- How a Professional Photographer Stores Photos Online - Sep 26, 2018
- 5 Kids Photos Every Mom Should Take - Sep 13, 2018
- 3 Easy Photography Projects to Try this Summer - Jun 11, 2018
- How to Create Cover Photos for Instagram Story Highlights - Mar 14, 2018
- How To Share Photos From Lightroom To Instagram - Jan 24, 2018
- 3 Tips for Photographing Your Everyday Life - Sep 4, 2017
- What to Do When You Don’t Have Access to Natural Light - Jul 24, 2017
- How to Take a Perfect Flat Lay Photograph - May 24, 2017
- How To Take Great Instagram Photos - Feb 24, 2017
- 3 Tips For Completing A Project 365 - Jan 9, 2017
- 3 Blog Photography Backgrounds Under $10 - Aug 31, 2016
- Tips For Photographing Your Own Kids - Aug 3, 2016
- How To Plan For Your Wedding Photos - Jul 8, 2016