You’ll hear this piece of advice time and time again:
You’ll hear it seventy-five different ways shouted from the rooftops because it’s true. Humans are visual creatures. We love pretty, shiny things. In fact, we love them so much that we’re completely transfixed by them.
Did your eyes maybe linger over that photo a little longer than necessary? I mean, it doesn’t even have anything to do with the article…
Not only images, but good images are practically a requirement of successful blogs now. If you don’t fancy yourself as a photographer, you can always find amazing free images to license, however your audience will probably connect more with personal pictures.
Photographers develop over a lifetime, but photography is easy to learn.
Photography is so accessible today that chances are you have a camera right in your pocket in the form of a cellphone. The technology is so advanced that even cheap digital cameras can produce great photos.
A lot of people are intimidated by photography because they compare photos from the masters with their own and feel there must be some huge technical and artistic gap they could never close.
It isn’t true though!
Photography is a lot like the game Othello: “a minute to learn, a lifetime to master.”
My mind grasped the basics of photography within a couple days of serious studying. Each new photography technique (long exposures, panning or sunflares, for example) takes a couple hours of reading, if that.
The hard part is in the practicing, but I guarantee if you consciously practice taking pictures, you will become a better photographer!
Introducing the #SITSpics Monthly Photo Challenge!
Here at SITS, we’re all about helping you become a better blogger and social networker.
Photos are an inevitable part of that!
So we’re starting a new monthly photo challenge. Here’s a taste of what you can expect:
- Learn photography basics with quick, easy to apply lessons.
- Apply your photography skills to your blog articles or social media presence.
- Build your social networking prowess!
If you want to learn more, watch the 90 second introductory video!
Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through all the steps as we dive into this first challenge, but if you want to read how #SITSpics will work or ask any questions about the photo challenge, please visit my site’s #SITSpics article.
July’s Photo Challenge!
This month’s simple photography lesson is wrapped up in under four minutes! Check it out for this month’s photo challenge and tips.
Tips for photographing children and pets.
Your photo challenge this month is to take pictures of children and/or pets.
If pictures of babies and bunnies don’t exactly mesh with your blog you can still apply most of these photo tips in other situations!
Remember, the video above will contain more information and examples of these suggestions! You can also click on the links below to skip directly to that point in the video.
- Pay attention to your background! Sometimes it may enhance your shot, other times it will distract from it.
- Wait until they’re still! Don’t try to force kids or pets to sit still for a picture. Wait until THEY choose not to run around like a loon.
- Focus on what they’re doing. You don’t actually need their face or much of their body in the shot. Capture them through what they do!
- Get down on their level! A scene won’t look the same from way up in the clouds.
I’d also like to encourage you to write your own articles with tips for the theme to share with your fellow SITStas this month!
Add your submission to the linky
Participate all month long!
Don’t forget to get in your submissions by July 25 and come back then to vote!
All month long you can chat about the challenge using the Twitter hashtag: #SITSpics. I’ll also be compiling a weekly #SITSpics Paper.li which will feature any links, pictures or videos tweeted using #SITSpics!
For fun, you can add any pictures you have fitting this month’s theme to our #SITSpics Photo Challenge Flickr Group.
Also, if you’re itching for more photographic inspiration, sign up for my bi-weekly newsletter with extra photography tips, exercises and inspiration!
Plug and play this entire photo challenge!
Feel free to plug and play any of the following into your own blog articles to encourage your readers to participate! Select and copy all the text inside the box and paste it into your site.
Introductory Video (90 seconds) or grab the code from YouTube
Photo Challenge Video: Children & Pets (3 minutes 47 seconds) or grab the code from YouTube
Have fun! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- Five Free Tools to Monitor your Site - Jul 27, 2011
- #SITSpics First Monthly Photo Challenge! - Jul 7, 2011
- Using Google Analytics to Find Blog Topics - Jun 22, 2011
- #SITS31DBBB: What Did a Calendar Ever Do For You? - Jun 15, 2011
- #SITS31DBBB: Monitoring Content with Google Alerts! - Jun 12, 2011
- Spring into Action Photo Challenge Wrap-Up - Apr 14, 2011
- 5 Ways to Protect Photos on Your Blog - Apr 13, 2011
- HTML and CSS Photo Basics: Learn How to Style Your Blog Photos - Apr 11, 2011
- Photo Lines and Repetition Tips - Apr 10, 2011
- Spring into Action: Your Photo Tips! - Apr 7, 2011