This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Now that you know about the rule of thirds and a unique way to make your images more interesting, let’s talk about some things that may distract your viewers while looking at your photos.
A common mistake I see a lot in photography is when photos have crooked horizons. Sometimes images are tilted intentionally for a unique composition. This is absolutely different than it is when a photographer just isn’t paying a lot of attention to the surroundings of their photo, and not just the main subject.
Since this happens quite a bit, and blog readers may notice such fixable elements in your blog photos, this is one of those photo editing tips that will make your images more appealing to your readers.
WHY STRAIGHTEN PHOTOS?
Bottom line: If your image is really slanted, then it looks like your subject is going to fall out of the frame. It has been proven that human beings generally prefer straight and level lines, and that crooked pictures hanging within our own homes can irritate us. It can feel very unnatural to see crooked horizons.
Some photographers feel this is an artistic way of taking images. That is a personal choice. However, unless your tilt is quite drastic and looks intentional, your photo just looks like a tilted horizon. I generally try to get my horizons as straight as possible, with the knowledge that artistic composition sometimes allows me to break those rules as well!
STRAIGHT PHOTO EXAMPLES
It can difficult to identify the horizon or the lines in the scene that need to be adjusted or aligned. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut. If it looks visually pleasing to you, even with a slight tilt, perhaps keep it as is!
Photo Straightening Tutorials
You can use different programs to create straight pictures, such as Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and iPhoto, but if you prefer to use a free program, check out this list of great sites for online photo editing. These videos from Courtney will walk you through the process in three different softwares:
Using Lightroom to Straighten an Image
How to Use iPhoto to Straighten an Image
Using Pixlr (free online editing program) to Straighten an Image
- Apple Cider Sangria Recipe for Fall - Aug 16, 2019
- August 16th: Saturday Sharefest - Aug 16, 2019
- August 13th: Recipe & DIY Linky - Aug 13, 2019
- August 9th: Saturday Sharefest - Aug 9, 2019
- August 6th: Recipe & DIY Linky - Aug 6, 2019
- August 2nd: Saturday Sharefest - Aug 2, 2019
- July 30th: Recipe & DIY Linky - Jul 30, 2019
- July 26th: Saturday Sharefest - Jul 26, 2019
- July 23rd: Recipe & DIY Linky - Jul 23, 2019
- July 19th: Saturday Sharefest - Jul 19, 2019
- July 16th: Recipe & DIY Linky - Jul 16, 2019
- July 12th: Saturday Sharefest - Jul 12, 2019
- Rainbow Layered Fruit Smoothie Recipe - Jul 11, 2019
- July 9th: Recipe & DIY Linky - Jul 9, 2019
- July 5th: Saturday Sharefest - Jul 5, 2019