This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A new social media app has gone viral for all the right reasons, and it’s called, BeReal app. I know you’re thinking that we REALLY DO NOT NEED another app to suck more time from us, but I promise you that this app will not require that much of your attention. BeReal notifies you to post only one time per day!
Now that you are interested, let me give you more of a deep dive into this app.
BeReal App – What You Need To Know
Everyone in your BeReal timezone will get a notification at the same time of the day and will have two minutes to take a picture and share exactly what they are doing at that moment. The app will capture a picture with your forward-facing and rear-facing camera at the same time – so you see yourself and what you see combined into one picture. It’s a super fun view of a random snapshot in time.
BeReal provides friends with a more unfiltered view of their lives, and for those who joined Instagram at the beginning (fewer influencer photos and more snapshots of the food you are currently eating, drinks, or an artistic photo of your favorite plant), it reminds me of just that. No pretty or posed photos, just an image of what you are doing at that exact moment. I love that BeReal takes the pressure off to compose the perfect picture – there are no staged moments here – and that freedom has made it very popular with Gen Z, as well.
Setting Up Your BeReal Profile
When signing up for the BeReal app, the most important thing to do is to make sure that you allow notifications from the app.
If you turn off notifications or only allow the notification in summary (Apple version of the app), you will be late in posting your image. You can post late, but the app calls out to your friends that you posted late (and just how late you were), and we don’t want that!
After you download the app and enable notifications, you can begin setting up your profile. Add a profile picture, bio, location, and time zone. The BeReal timezones are larger than actual timezones – my timezone includes everyone in North and South America.
Next, add friends so they can see your daily BeReal moments. Invite people from your contacts, or search their names. You can also see others on the app if they choose to enable their contact list.
Now that you have finished setting up your profile, you can put your phone down and return to your day. BeReal will randomly send you one notification a day, letting you know you have exactly two minutes to share your photo. When you receive the notification, you open the app and post exactly what you are doing! THAT IS IT! It is so cool to see what your friends are doing at that exact moment (that is, if they post on time!).
Like most apps, you also can share your moment on the discovery page for others to see and like. You can choose not to have your image shared publicly and it will just be visible to your friends if you prefer to have more privacy.
You can also view your past BeReal moments, called memories, but those are only visible to you.
A few things might catch you off guard when capturing your BeReal moment (like they did to me), but I got you!
BeReal App Tips
1. The front and back camera will take photos simultaneously, as I mentioned above, so make sure you are ready for that. I was not, and let’s just say that was too real of a moment that I didn’t want to share with others! The image capture view defaults to the front-facing camera. You can click on the switch camera button before you click to capture your image and check out how you are looking in selfie-view.
2. You are allowed to retake your photo as many times as needed during the two minutes. You should know, though, that once you’ve become friends with ten users, you can see how many times your friends have retaken their BeReal image (and if they are friends with ten users, they can see how many times YOU tried to capture the perfect BeReal).
3. Emojis are just as real as your BeReal pictures! This might be my favorite part of the app. After your friends have posted their BeReal moment, you can take a RealMoji to like, thumbs up, laugh, etc., at your friends’ photos. It is always fun to see friends’ faces instead of a standard emoji.
4. If anyone has taken a screenshot of a picture that you shared, you will see a number above your friends who reacted to the image. To view which friend took that screenshot; you will need to share your photo on social or via text.
And that, my friends, is the BeReal app. It is a fun and different way to stay connected with friends and family. And you can always share your BeReal image to other platforms!
If you are interested in giving this app a try, we suggest you do!
Let us know in the comments below your thoughts on this new and exciting app!
- 10 Video Ideas for Instagram Reels - Oct 18, 2022
- The Wicked Witch Cocktail Recipe - Oct 6, 2022
- DIY Halloween Felt Garland - Oct 4, 2022
- Splat Spoon Rest - Oct 4, 2022
- Harry Potter Chocolate Frogs - Oct 3, 2022
- Power Hour Playlist: 2000s Edition - Oct 3, 2022
- POWER HOUR PLAYLIST: 1990S EDITION - Sep 19, 2022
- Strawberry Pie Recipe - Sep 19, 2022
- Power Hour Playlist: 1980s Edition - Sep 16, 2022
- Digital Declutter Checklist - Sep 13, 2022
- Birthday Freebies - Sep 8, 2022
- Creating A Successful Instagram Bio - Sep 6, 2022
- DIY Mosaic Tile Tissue Box Cover - Sep 5, 2022
- Power Hour Playlist: 1970s Edition - Sep 5, 2022
- DIY Mosaic Tile Coasters - Aug 8, 2022