This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
You could say that social media is all about community and that community is now all about social media. In this post, I will share how to build community on social media in a way that is authentic and long lasting. Do you have to be vulnerable? Yes, but that’s the only way you are going to attract your tribe.
How to Build Community On Social Media
Let’s get started building community through social media.
What are your interests? This can be anything from weaving to water sports. If you have an interest I guarantee you there is a Facebook group for it. Very rarely will you have to start your own, because most are covered. Bullet Journaling, Tarot Card Reading, Bible Study, Essential Oils, Book Clubs, Foodies, it’s all there.
Choose 2-3 interests based on what you blog about, or what you what to connect with other people on and ask to join groups on Facebook. Once there, be sure to introduce yourself — share why you are there and what you are hoping to learn. Also, don’t forget to welcome new members to the group, if the admin shares that. You were new once, right?
Don’t know where to start? Try The Sway Facebook Group. It’s a great place to talk all things blogging and social media!
During Twitter Chats, we share each other’s blog and social media wins, and blog posts contributed by the community. There are plenty of Twitter chats happening all the time, and they are a great way to build community.
Don’t know where to start? Try this blog post: What’s a Twitter Party Anyway?
Ahh yes, my love language. There are Instagram challenges around all kinds of topics like hand lettering, journaling, and yoga. I LOVE the #doyouyoga 30 day challenges. I’m not participating on my feed currently, but I love to visit others that are and encourage their progress.
Don’t know where to start? Try the It’s My Week challenge. The theme changes every week so check in and see what’s on for this week.
Three things are key to building community on social media:
Social media is driven by hashtags. Perform a quick search on any platform and find people interested in the same things you are. Using hashtags opens you up to another world!
Did you know about the hashtag feature on Instagram where you can follow hashtags and find them in your feed? For example, I searched #tarotreadersofinstagram and clicked on the follow button that was underneath the keyword. Now I can interact and chat with people I wouldn’t have, and create community because I’m following anyone who uses that hashtag.
Don’t just join communities on social media and let that be that. You have to engage! This is where the vulnerability part comes in. Community is about engagement.
Take a few minutes a day, pop onto the platform of your choice and respond to questions, comments, meme’s. Share your perspective. The only way people are going to know you is if you share yourself.
3. Follow up
Here’s the next step. Once you’ve engaged with people online, select a few that you felt you made a deeper connection with and send a DM. No. Don’t ask them out. I mean, send them a funny meme, or a resource that will help them with a question they asked. Ask them for clarification on something they posted that you are genuinely interested in learning more about.
Bottom line, if you want to build community, it takes time, trust, and trial and error. You aren’t going to wake up one day say, “Yep. Community. Time to get it.” My advice? Don’t force it. Be yourself and your people will find you.
What are some of your ways to build community on social media? I would love to share them!
- How to Build Community On Social Media - Feb 27, 2019
- How To Create A Template For Your Social Media Images - Feb 12, 2018
- How to Use IFTTT To Easily Share Your Instagram Photos on Twitter - Sep 14, 2017
- Are You Using Instagram To Its Fullest Potential? - May 5, 2017
- Get Results From The Time You Spend On Social Media - May 4, 2017
- How To Repurpose Social Media Content On Your Blog - Feb 23, 2017
- Read These Books To Improve Your Writing - Nov 30, 2016
- How to Turn Your Personal Story into a Blog Post People Want to Read - Nov 16, 2016
- How To Grow Your Newsletter Subscribers With Social Media - Jul 20, 2016
- The Secret to Writing an Amazing Tutorial - Jun 23, 2016
- How To Build Your Blogging Tribe - Jun 13, 2016
- 10 Blogging Tips That Will Actually Amaze You - Jun 10, 2016
- The Most Important Blogging Advice For Creatives - May 4, 2016
- How Bullet Journaling Saved My Life - Apr 5, 2016
- How To Fuel Your Passion - Mar 14, 2016