This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you interested in how to share a link on Facebook and get traffic back to your blog? Along with status updates and pictures galore, the other major items shared on Facebook are links. It’s a great way to share content you find online, or to promote your content.
One mistake many people make is to simply paste the link onto Facebook. In doing so, you overlook an opportunity to optimize your Facebook posts: the description box.
How to Share a Link on Facebook Using the Description Box
What is this description box, exactly?
A description box is the place for you to share a link on Facebook telling your readers exactly what your post is about.
The content can be generated in several different ways. If you just post the link without doing any type of work on the back end of your blog, then it will pull the first characters of your post. If you use the first sentence or two to very clearly describe each and every post you share, then this is no issue. However, this is rarely done in most posts and leaves an important optimization effort overlooked.
If You Are On WordPress:
Luckily, this can be adjusted. If you are on a WordPress blog, there are two ways:
- One way is to use a premium theme, such as Genesis Framework or the Thesis Theme. These themes offer built-in SEO settings that allow you to set a custom SEO document Title and- the key part here- a custom post/page meta description. In this description, you should use the 140 characters most search engines will read to clearly explain what your post is about and what message you want to convey.
- An alternative to using a specific premium theme is to use an SEO plugin such as Yoast. A plugin such as this one will give you the same optimized settings as a premium theme.
If You Are Not On WordPress:
If you are not on WordPress or want to describe an article you are sharing from somewhere you have not written, then there is a different way to edit the description area. When you post the link to the article, Facebook will generate a preview. If you double-click on the text description in the preview, it will open up an edit box. You can then put in your own custom description explaining what the link you are sharing is all about.
Do you manually adjust your Facebook previews? How do you share a link on Facebook
Interested In More Facebook Tips?
Then be sure to check out these posts:
- How to Make a Facebook Fanpage that Gets Noticed
- 5 Surefire Ways to Be Successful on Facebook
- What We Can Learn from Brilliant Brands on Facebook
- Essential Camera Gear For Beginning Photographers - Aug 12, 2022
- Finding Your Friends on Instagram - May 3, 2022
- Magic Mosaic Easter Egg Coloring - Mar 5, 2022
- 11 Recipes For National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day - Feb 24, 2022
- Our Favorite Things – 2021 Edition (Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaways!) - Nov 15, 2021
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe - Sep 2, 2021
- Low Light Photography Tips for the Holidays - Nov 11, 2020
- DIY 30-Minute Thanksgiving Tree - Nov 8, 2020
- The Spanish Princess Part 2 Is Coming - Oct 8, 2020
- Fabric Pumpkins – DIY in 15 Minutes - Sep 9, 2020
- Jack-O-Lantern Marshmallow Pops - Sep 7, 2020
- DIY Mini Herb Garden - Aug 30, 2020
- Step by Step Plan to Drive Traffic to A New Blog - Aug 30, 2020
- Six Tips to Reduce Stress In Your Life - Aug 30, 2020
- How To Take A Food Photo From Good To Great - Aug 30, 2020
This is a good approach to what, for some, may be a controversial topic. Very well though out post. That’s our strongest weak point. Samuel Goldwyn 1882 1974
nice a really powerful source of information added to tweetmeme thankx
Nice and good looking work. good to see your post and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Anytime Upgrade Key Windows Upgrade Key says
kamnyrqv loans vancouver bc dcrilntl
Activation Key For Windows 7 says
Интересные новости и не только в livjurnal
Also cause a, these include traditional?There By my, the plane This.Will feel good, wear manufacturers now.Specializes in handling ultrasonic nebulizer units, avoid bankruptcy and Loss Mitigation is.Followed, It?s something of.,
You are so funny!!! I have become obsessed with your blog and I spend most of my time reading all your posts. And I made an account JUST to post comments. I wish Id found you sooner, and I wish you posted as much as you once did! You must be constantly busy now though because you are so famous!!
Hey there, are you sustaining problems with your hosting? I essential had to refresh the page about trillion times to get the page to load. Just saying
Ese es el ! de interesante de gamersmafia!!!
yeah, just thought you might want to know that your blog is messed up when I view it on my iphone. Im not sure if it has something to do with my phones browser or your website? just saying