I love Instagram. I also like to share Instagram posts on Twitter and Facebook.
When you share an Instagram post to Facebook, the image shows, and it’s visually appealing to the audience on both platforms. (Maybe because Facebook bought Instagram? Hmmm.)
However, when you share an Instagram post to Twitter, the image gets converted to a link.
Wah wah. No image. NO fun.
Ever see this happen?
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Yes, I shared an Instagram post to Twitter the wrong way just for you!
Have you ever wanted to learn how to share Instagram posts on Twitter with the picture in the tweet?
There is a solution, and it’s name is IFTTT (If This Then That). A nifty online tool that allows you to create IFTTT recipes for all kinds of things, especially converting your Instagram images to show as images on your Twitter feed.
How To Share Instagram Posts On Twitter With IFTTT
Setting up the recipe is easy, but tweaking how you create your Instagram captions takes a little thought. I’ll go into my method and share some things to think about when you are posting on Instagram.
- Head over to IFTTT and set up an account.
- Link your Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Add this recipe to your IFTTT account and start sharing!
Not so fast, actually. I promised there would be some things to consider, right?
This recipe means that everytime you share an image to Instagram it automatically (pushes to IFTTT which then) pushes to Twitter.
Before you turn this IFTTT recipe on, ask yourself:
Will I always want my Instagram images shared on Twitter?
Why should you ask yourself this question?
For bloggers who have more of a personal feel to their Instagram maybe you don’t want to share every image with your Twitter audience (because that’s where you’re profesh) or maybe you’re not into sharing every image of your dog/child/ice cream cone with your Twitter audience.
If you answered “Yes, I want to share all the things!” Consider this:
The caption should be short and sweet, maybe with one hashtag at the very least. This isn’t a hard and fast rule, but think about how you tweet, it’s different from how you ‘gram, right? If not, it should be!
If you’re ok with every image pushing through IFTTT to Twitter, remember that it’s probably a good idea to change how you caption your Instagram posts so Twitter audiences see this:
Clean and perfect for your Twitter audience.
But you wanted to say more on Instagram? No problem!
You can go back and edit your Instagram post and add all the content you wanted to include! Here’s how I do it:
- Create Instagram caption with relevant hashtags on Evernote, a word doc, a draft email, etc. (Bonus Social Media Maven Tip: I have hashtags saved by topics I share on Instagram so I’m not hand typing hashtags with every Instagram post. I just copy and paste from Evernote. This not only saves me time, but keeps my Instagram feed focused and on brand!)
- Make sure that the caption’s first sentence is optimized for Twitter (a short sentence and a hashtag).
- Copy and paste that first sentence with your image to Instagram.
- Post to Instagram.
- IFTTT will share it to Twitter, and then you’ll be able to immediately go back and update the content of your Instagram post (because timing is everything on that platform).
- Add relevant hashtags to a comment (to keep the Instagram caption clean – it looks more appealing in the feed).
And that’s how you share Instagram posts on Twitter the right way, using IFTTT.
Anyone else use IFTTT? Tell me your favorite IFTTT recipes in the comments!
- How to Build Community On Social Media - Feb 27, 2019
- How To Create A Template For Your Social Media Images - Feb 12, 2018
- How to Use IFTTT To Easily Share Your Instagram Photos on Twitter - Sep 14, 2017
- Are You Using Instagram To Its Fullest Potential? - May 5, 2017
- Get Results From The Time You Spend On Social Media - May 4, 2017
- How To Repurpose Social Media Content On Your Blog - Feb 23, 2017
- Read These Books To Improve Your Writing - Nov 30, 2016
- How to Turn Your Personal Story into a Blog Post People Want to Read - Nov 16, 2016
- How To Grow Your Newsletter Subscribers With Social Media - Jul 20, 2016
- The Secret to Writing an Amazing Tutorial - Jun 23, 2016
- How To Build Your Blogging Tribe - Jun 13, 2016
- 10 Blogging Tips That Will Actually Amaze You - Jun 10, 2016
- The Most Important Blogging Advice For Creatives - May 4, 2016
- How Bullet Journaling Saved My Life - Apr 5, 2016
- How To Fuel Your Passion - Mar 14, 2016