This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When I was in school and working on a paper I always had to have music in the background. The music kept my fingers moving across the keyboard, helped spark my imagination and kept writers block at bay. Even now as I write this I am listening to the same Dave Matthews Band songs that I listened to when I wrote those college papers. For me, the ultimate writer’s playlist includes songs that take me back, songs that move me forward, and songs that inspire me. It would also include a mix of current music and different genres to keep me inspired and to keep my writing progressing.
Ultimate Writer’s Playlist
Writing playlists are a lot like workout playlists. You need music to get you motivated and music to keep you going, even when you might want to stop. Here is my ultimate writer’s playlist…
- Just Like Fire – Pink
This is the perfect song to get the motivation started. It always makes me feel like I can take over the world.
- Shake it Off – Taylor Swift
Whether it’s writers block or those haters in the comments you’ve got to “shake it off”
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
If Rocky can do it, so can you.
- Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked – Cage the Elephant.
This song is a good reminder that sometimes you just need to get the writing done because you are on a deadline.
- Fight Song – Rachel Platten
Everything about this song gets me motivated.
- Automatic – Miranda Lambert
I love how this song reflects on the slower times before the internet.
- Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
Bruce is easily one of the best songwriters and Born to Run is a classic.
- Colder Weather – Zac Brown Band
As writers I like to think we all have a “gypsy soul to blame.”
- The Scientist – Cold Play
I love the pace of this song and the idea of “going back to the start”. It’s a perfect song for writing the hard stuff.
- Adele – When We Were Young
The haunting music, the beautiful lyrics, this song has me pouring my heart out again and again.
- A Dustland Fairytale – The Killers
Easily the best track on Day & Age this song gives me all the feels.
- Springsteen – Eric Church
The ideal writing song, the lyrics “funny how a melody, sounds like a memory” will take you right to that back.
- In My Life – The Beatles
Another great song that helps you capture a moment.
- Roar – Katy Perry
“I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath” — those lyrics are perfect for those times when you are writing about something controversial.
- Don’t Stop Believing – Journey
You’re in the home stretch of writing that post, just keep going.
- Happy – Pharrell Williams
There is nothing like the feeling of being done with a project and being ready to celebrate.
What songs are on your ultimate writer’s playlist?
- Essential Camera Gear For Beginning Photographers - Aug 12, 2022
- Finding Your Friends on Instagram - May 3, 2022
- Magic Mosaic Easter Egg Coloring - Mar 5, 2022
- 11 Recipes For National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day - Feb 24, 2022
- Our Favorite Things – 2021 Edition (Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaways!) - Nov 15, 2021
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe - Sep 2, 2021
- Low Light Photography Tips for the Holidays - Nov 11, 2020
- DIY 30-Minute Thanksgiving Tree - Nov 8, 2020
- The Spanish Princess Part 2 Is Coming - Oct 8, 2020
- Fabric Pumpkins – DIY in 15 Minutes - Sep 9, 2020
- Jack-O-Lantern Marshmallow Pops - Sep 7, 2020
- DIY Mini Herb Garden - Aug 30, 2020
- Step by Step Plan to Drive Traffic to A New Blog - Aug 30, 2020
- Six Tips to Reduce Stress In Your Life - Aug 30, 2020
- How To Take A Food Photo From Good To Great - Aug 30, 2020