This post may contain affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When I was in school and working on a paper I always had to have music in the background. The music kept my fingers moving across the keyboard, helped spark my imagination and kept writers block at bay. Even now as I write this I am listening to the same Dave Matthews Band songs that I listened to when I wrote those college papers. For me, the ultimate writer’s playlist includes songs that take me back, songs that move me forward, and songs that inspire me. It would also include a mix of current music and different genres to keep me inspired and to keep my writing progressing.
Ultimate Writer’s Playlist
Writing playlists are a lot like workout playlists. You need music to get you motivated and music to keep you going, even when you might want to stop. Here is my ultimate writer’s playlist…
- Just Like Fire – Pink
This is the perfect song to get the motivation started. It always makes me feel like I can take over the world.
- Shake it Off – Taylor Swift
Whether it’s writers block or those haters in the comments you’ve got to “shake it off”
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
If Rocky can do it, so can you.
- Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked – Cage the Elephant.
This song is a good reminder that sometimes you just need to get the writing done because you are on a deadline.
- Fight Song – Rachel Platten
Everything about this song gets me motivated.
- Automatic – Miranda Lambert
I love how this song reflects on the slower times before the internet.
- Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
Bruce is easily one of the best songwriters and Born to Run is a classic.
- Colder Weather – Zac Brown Band
As writers I like to think we all have a “gypsy soul to blame.”
- The Scientist – Cold Play
I love the pace of this song and the idea of “going back to the start”. It’s a perfect song for writing the hard stuff.
- Adele – When We Were Young
The haunting music, the beautiful lyrics, this song has me pouring my heart out again and again.
- A Dustland Fairytale – The Killers
Easily the best track on Day & Age this song gives me all the feels.
- Springsteen – Eric Church
The ideal writing song, the lyrics “funny how a melody, sounds like a memory” will take you right to that back.
- In My Life – The Beatles
Another great song that helps you capture a moment.
- Roar – Katy Perry
“I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath” — those lyrics are perfect for those times when you are writing about something controversial.
- Don’t Stop Believing – Journey
You’re in the home stretch of writing that post, just keep going.
- Happy – Pharrell Williams
There is nothing like the feeling of being done with a project and being ready to celebrate.
What songs are on your ultimate writer’s playlist?
- How To Offer Good Storytelling In Sponsored Posts - Feb 11, 2019
- The Ultimate Writer’s Playlist - Jun 3, 2018
- How to Use a Scheduler to Make Your Pinterest Traffic Explode - Apr 10, 2018
- How To Turn Your Personal Passion Into A Blog - May 19, 2017
- How To Promote Your Social Media Channels - Sep 19, 2016
- How To Use Affiliate Links On Pinterest - Aug 26, 2016
- How To Take Your Blog From Personal To Professional - Jun 27, 2016